This morning, at 8am, I awoke with an urge to bake. Having done my long run yesterday (14 beautiful miles in the mud), I guess I was just at a bit of a loose end as to what else to do on a Sunday morning. I didn't want to make anything deadly though, so I browsed Pinterest and stumbled across a recipe for carrot and oat muffins. A little adaption later - mostly due to the limitations of my pantry - I had a batch of breakfast muffins which I will definitely be making again.
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 cup oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups yoghurt
1 - 2 grated carrots
Handful chopped walnuts
1) Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF
2) Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, sugar, spices).
3) In a separate bowl, whisk eggs then stir in yoghurt and melted oil.
4) Add egg, yoghurt and oil mixture to dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in grated carrot and walnuts.
5) Line a muffin tray with cake cases and add a level tablespoon of mixture to each.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
I ate mine with peanut butter and sliced banana and they were delicious. Next time I might try an alternative sweetener that's a little healthier but these were a great starting point. Enjoy!